Complete Your Home Art Studio With Our Quality Easels For Every Type Of Artist!
Artists’ easels are a handy tool for painting and drawing. Not only do they provide a solid foundation for working on, they help you to save space, transport your work-in-progress, display the finished result and achieve the right perspective in landscapes, portraits and more.
Riot Art & Craft stock a wide range of high-quality aluminium and wooden easels by leading art brands such as Eraldo Di Paolo and Art Studio to accommodate different sized works, mediums and painting styles. We've got tabletop easels for small works, A-frames and H-frames for larger works, portable easels for sketching and painting and display easels to showcase your finished artist painting.
Shop our bestsellers online today and enjoy free delivery Australia-wide when you spend over $99!
Easel Art Stands For Painting
Easels are an artist's best friend when it comes to painting. They're typically made of wood or aluminium and come in different sizes and shapes - from the popular wooden tripod with three posts joined at the top for indoor or outdoor painting to small tabletop easels designed to be lightweight, portable and perfect for small-scale canvas paintings.
We have artist easels that will hold everything from a mini canvas to extra- large canvases that require more support and stability. Shop our wooden H-frames by Eraldo Di Paolo that are perfect for large-scale acrylic and oil paintings or pick up a handy travel easel with carry bag and adjustable features that can convert it from a floor easel to a tabletop for the best of both worlds!
Easel Selection And Their Different Features
If you're just starting out using an easel, it can be difficult to know which one is right for you. Each style has different characteristics that make it suitable for different locations and painting styles. Consider these features before making a decision:
1. Outdoor and Portable - If you love to paint plein-air or on the move, a portable easel is for you. Made from natural wood or aluminium, they're foldable and easy to set up in an outdoor environment. Our Art Studio Lightweight Portable Sketch Easel is made for travel with a compact design and no assembly needed.
2. Lightweight and Adjustable - An adjustable easel will help you get the right height and angle to accomplish any project and is lightweight enough for carrying anywhere. You can adjust the legs, height and orientation to adapt to your surroundings. They're also great as a drawing board for sketching and colouring on the go.
3. Field or French - Field and French easels are a type of portable easel designed to be used outside. French easels typically come with storage compartments for art supplies. The Art Studio Illustrator's Field Easel is adjustable, lightweight and can be modified to suit any outdoor area.
4. Indoor Tabletop - If you're short on space and money, a tabletop easel is a fantastic budget-friendly option. They come in A-frames, H-frames and single mast and are perfect for small-scale works that can be stored and carried easily. Shop our tabletop easels that are easy to set up and can hold a range of canvas thicknesses.
5. A-Frame - An A-frame has two legs at the front and one at the back and is a great option for small studios as it can be tucked into a corner to save space. Typically used to hold small to medium works.
6. I-Frame - I-frames are display easels and are designed solely to display your finished work in a designated space. Our Eraldo Di Paolo Gallery Beech Wood Easel lets you proudly show off your work and can hold 2 canvases at a time.
7. H-Frame - H-frames are heavier and shaped like the letter H. They have a sturdier base for holding larger works and are best suited to spacious studios with a dedicated area for painting.
Reasons To Work With An Easel
You might think an easel is just for holding your canvas while you're painting, but this essential artist's tool has many more benefits for beginners and professionals alike. Check out some of the major perks you can enjoy if you invest in a canvas for painting or drawing:
1. See your artwork at the right viewing angle - when working with an easel, you're forced to paint in an upright vertical angle that's similar to the angle that will be used when displaying your finished work. This helps to maintain accurate perspective when painting shapes, figures and other images.
2. Freedom of movement - A portable and folding easel will make travelling with your artwork simple. Whether you buy a compact tabletop easel or an adjustable, lightweight field easel for outdoor painting, you'll be able to pack up your work as needed and move from place to place without hassle.
3. Good posture when painting or drawing - Painting on a flat surface typically requires you to hunch over your work which is bad for posture. An easel keeps your back straighter and enables you to stand back and observe your work-in-process as you go.
Uses Of An Easel
- In Studio - A-frame and H-frame easels make great in-studio additions as they're typically heavier and bulkier. This makes them suitable for larger works that don't need to be moved around a lot. A-frames are perfectly shaped to fit into the corner of a small studio, while H-frames are for large studio spaces. If you're really short on space, go for a tabletop easel.
- Portable - If you love to paint plain-air style, a portable easel makes transporting your work outside easy. They're foldable, lightweight and can come with a box to hold your art supplies, like our Eraldo Di Paolo Artist's Black Hybrid Sketch Box Easel.
- Display - An easel display stand is designed to hold your finished artwork in a studio or gallery. The framework is not strong enough to paint on, but a beautiful wood display easel is an attractive piece of home decor and will showcase your masterpiece beautifully.
Easels For Beginner Painters
If you're a beginner, consider buying a painting easel that's small, compact and lightweight which is likely to be more affordable. We've got great tabletop easels under $50 with adjustable heights and a lightweight frame for portability.
For little artists, shop our Tim & Tess mini easels that come with a whiteboard, chalkboard, paper holder and magnet display holder that's perfect for showing off all their colourful art projects!
Choosing The Right Easel
Easels are a valuable artist's tool, but only if you pick the right one to suit your style! From light and portable to indoor studio options and compact easels designed for tight spaces and travel - there's an easel for every type of artist. Consider these factors when choosing one:
1. Environment - If you're painting outside, choose a portable option such as a field easel that's lightweight and compact. For small spaces, A-frames will fit nicely into a corner while H-frames are great for large studios with a permanent set-up.
2. Size of painting - Consider an A-frame or tabletop easel if working with small to medium canvases and a sturdy H-frame for large-scale projects for more support.
3. Standing or sitting - Tabletop and bench easels are designed to be used while sitting and resting your arm on a surface for comfort. Floor standing easels are for those who prefer to work standing with more freedom of movement.
4. Painting style - A tabletop easel is preferred for watercolours to stop the paint from running. Oils and acrylics work wonderfully with both A-frames and H-frames. If you paint plein-air or travel a lot, a portable or box easel is best and comes with a compartment to carry your art supplies.
Do You Need An Easel For Acrylic Painting?
Floor standing easels are great for both acrylic painting and oil painting as they keep the painting upright and comfortable during long sessions. When working with watercolor, a tabletop easel is needed as it provides a more horizontal angle that's necessary for this type of paint. While easels are not absolutely essential for painting with acrylics, many artists consider them a hugely important tool for maintaining perspective, posture and for storing/carrying their work around.
FAQs About Easels
How Much Do Easels Cost?
The cost of an easel can range from around $15 for small, table top easels that can be carried around to hundreds and even thousands for a sturdy easel that can support large sized canvases. We sell Eraldo Di Paolo and Art Studio easels for as little as $17.99 as well as heavy-duty, foldable easels for professional artists under $300.
Which Easel Is The Best?
The type of art easel you choose will depend on your canvas size, budget and painting style. The most common easels and their uses include:
1. A-Frame - best for small to medium works with limited space to work in
2. H-Frame - best for large works that need a sturdy structure for support
3. Table Top - best for small works and artist's on a budget
4. Portable - best for working outdoors
5. Box - best for travelling and storing art supplies
What Is An Easel Used For?
Whether you're a beginner or a pro, painting with an easel makes the whole experience easier and more convenient. Some of the major benefits include:
1. Achieving the correct perspective in painting or drawing realistic objects
2. Providing a sturdy base for work
3. Improving your posture by keeping you upright
4. Carrying artwork and painting supplies, such as paint and paintbrushes, around easily
5. Using as a display stand for finished work
What Are The Best Easels?
Not all easels are made the same. Our quality Eraldo Di Paolo and Art Studio easels come in a range of sizes and shapes to suit any artist. The best easels are:
1. Made from beech wood for durability and stability
2. Foldable for easy storage and portability
4. Simple to assemble
5. Have an adjustable height feature