Quality Canvases For Every Artist!
Riot Art & Craft have been encouraging artists to embrace the beauty of the blank canvas for over 40 years' and are leaders in providing art supplies for every type of artist. Our high-quality and affordable canvases are 100% cotton, pre-stretched, primed and skilfully made to accommodate all types of mediums, including acrylic, oil, mixed media, gouache, pastels and more.
From convenient canvas boards and must-have value packs by Art Studio and Eraldo Di Paolo to gallery wrapped stretched canvases of every size - our thin and thick canvas options make it easy for you to live your artist's dream.
With Afterpay and gift cards available, simply add your chosen canvas to the shopping cart and purchase in checkout with free delivery Australia-wide over $99.
Paint On Canvases Using Various Techniques
Canvases are incredibly versatile and allow you the freedom to experiment with different mediums and techniques. Acrylics, oils and even watercolours can be applied to canvas thickly with a palette knife for texture and visual interest or spread thinly with a paintbrush and water for smooth strokes and an even finish.
Our canvas range is made to support any type of technique you use with a high-quality primer for easy gliding and manipulating of paint and colour.
Canvases For All Skill Levels
Riot Art & Craft have canvases for artists at any skill level, including beginners, students, hobbyists and professional artists. Our compact, lightweight canvas panels and quality pads are an economical choice for those just starting out in painting. For serious artists, our high-quality, 100% cotton canvas range comes primed and gallery wrapped and is expertly designed to grip colour for stunning results every time.
Choosing The Right Canvas For Your Painting
Look At Different Materials - Canvases are generally made in cotton or linen. A cotton canvas is a popular choice for using acrylic paint and oil paint due to its ability to easily stretch over a wooden frame and hold colour.
Weight - Canvas weight refers to fabric thickness and how tightly it's woven. Heavier canvases are stronger and will last longer than light-weight ones. We sell a range of 380gsm canvases for heavy duty use with outstanding results.
Brand - We stock the biggest brands in painting that are trusted by artists in Australia and worldwide to deliver stunning and consistent results every time, including Eraldo Di Paolo, Art Studio and rtists First Choice.
Sizes and Priming - A blank canvas can come in all shapes and sizes to accommodate any type of painting. Priming a canvas with gesso is essential to ensuring the fibres are sealed and prepared for paint application. We sell an extensive range of pre-stretched canvases of varying sizes that are 100% cotton, triple primed and ready for your next masterpiece.
Canvas Forms and Sizes
Canvases come in many different forms, including:
Go for a large canvas for dramatic, broad brush works or a small one if you want to emphasise the details in an image.
Different Paint For Canvases
- Acrylic - Acrylics are the most popular paints used on canvas thanks to their versatility, quick-drying time and long-lasting colour vibrancy
- Oil - An oil painting on canvas is a stunning way to showcase the rich colour and texture of oils
- Gouache - Gouache is similar to watercolour but is heavier and more vibrant and is best applied thickly to canvases
- Watercolour - Watercolour paints tend to bleed on a regular canvas if you don't use one that's been specially primed for use with watercolours. At Riot Art & Craft, we sell quality stretched canvases designed for watercolour paint that's 100% cotton, smooth grain and perfect for absorbing colours without buckling.
Tips For Painting On Canvas
If you've decided to paint on canvas, consider these top tips:
- Always ensure canvases are primed first
- Set up supplies within easy reach
- Choose the right brushes
- Create colour swatches beforehand to ensure you know how dark a paint will look when dried
- Experiment with medium for interesting effects
Drying Your Canvas
How long your canvas takes to dry will depend on a number of factors, including type of paint, thickness of application, humidity and the environment. Generally, acrylics are faster to dry and can be done in 30 minutes. Gouache and watercolour takes longer.
You can speed up the process by leaving it near a fan or carefully using a hairdryer on low heat. It's important to let canvases dry completely before adding varnish.
What Other Supplies Might You Need For Painting?
Once you've got your chosen canvas and paint, there's a few other supplies you'll need on-hand to ensure your painting gets off to the best start possible:
- Palette knife
- Paper towels
- Easels can come in handy for maintaining correct vertical perspective
FAQs About Canvas Painting
How Do You Choose The Right Canvas?
When choosing the right canvas for your painting, consider these factors:
- What size of work will you do?
- Cotton or linen canvas?
- Primed or not primed?
- What medium will you be using?
- How much texture do you want in your final work? Canvases range from rough to extra fine
- Do you want a canvas that’s unwrapped, wrapped, a panel or pad?
What Kind Of Paint Do You Use On Canvas?
Canvases are incredibly versatile and designed to work beautifully with many types of paint and mixed media. It can be applied either with paintbrushes or a palette knife, dries quickly and keeps paintings looking bright and colourful for many years.
The most popular types of paint that can be used on canvas include:
Does The Quality Of Canvas Matter?
Quality is very important when it comes to painting canvases as it will determine the overall look and longevity of your final piece. A quality stretched canvas will:
- Have correct stretcher bars to prevent warping
- Be tightly wrapped
- Be triple primed with superior gesso
- Stop paint from cracking
We sell affordable and high-quality canvases for all of your painting needs.
What Is The Best Canvas Brand?
We stock top quality canvas brands that are trusted by artists worldwide, whether they're just starting out or are long-term professionals. Check out our brands:
- Eraldo Di Paolo for gallery wrapped stretched canvases and panels of varying sizes
- Art Studio for unique black canvas panels and stretched canvases
- Artists First Choice for a circle canvas