We've Got A Paint Brush For Every Kind Of Art Project
Whether you're working on your next canvas masterpiece, trying your hand at fabric painting or face painting, spending a crafternoon with the kids or simply dabbling in painting for the first time - a paint brush is one of the most essential tools you can use for any art and craft project.
Riot Art & Craft are local experts in art supplies and have got an extensive range of high-quality paint brushes from leading brands such as Holcroft, Bob Ross, Eraldo Di Paolo, Art Studio and Tim And Tess.
We've made buying your brushes easy. Just add items to your shopping cart and checkout using our simple, streamlined process. We offer Afterpay and free shipping across Australia for all orders over $99.
Types Of Paint Brushes Available
We've got the paint brushes that are on every artist's wishlist:
- Flat brushes
- Fan brushes
- Round brushes
- Bristle brushes
- Acrylic paint brushes
- Paint brush sets for those looking to save time and money.
Our range of brushes are made from a variety of materials, including synthetic and natural hair brushes to suit any project you're working on.
Knowing Your Paintbrush
A paint brush consists of 4 main parts:
- Bristles - Synthetic, natural or a combination
- Ferrule - Section connecting bristles to handle
- Crimp - the small section of the ferrule that attaches it to the handle
- Handle - for gripping the paint brush
Different Shapes To Choose From
Whether you're applying acrylics, oils, watercolours, varnishes or another medium, paint brushes are either:
- Flat and rectangular with a square edge that's used for long, broad strokes and filling in large areas
- Pointed and round used for both bold strokes and fine lines and detail, such as a sable or rigger brush
These can be further broken down into 8 different shapes:
- Round brush
- Pointed round
- Angular flat
- Detail round
Size Can Be Everything
Paint brush sizes range from:
- Small for details
- Medium for both small and large works
- Large for underlays and washes
Brands We Recommend
At Riot Art & Craft, we're committed to only stocking the best brands in the industry who can meet and exceed every artist's expectations. We've got paint brushes from brands like:
- Art Studio
- Bob Ross
- Design Line
- Tim and Tess
- Artists First Choice
Acrylic Paint Brushes
Our acrylic artist brushes are perfect for beginners and professionals and can be applied to any surface for your art and DIY projects. From long handle round brushes and flat brushes to sets containing fans, filberts, angled brushes and more - our range of brushes for acrylics are versatile and top quality.
Oil Paint Brushes
Whether it's fine details or sweeping strokes, our natural oil paint brushes by Art Studio are designed to be easy to use and come in a range of shapes and sizes for every kind of oil painting.
We've got the best synthetic taklon brush sets for all of your watercolour works. Our brushes carry and distribute water and paint easily and contain all of the most popular types of brushes you'll need for watercolour painting.
Our aqua brushes make it super easy to paint with water-based mediums. Made of quality nylon, just fill the holder with water, dip into paint and use like a regular paint brush!
Paint Brush Sets
A paint brush set is the perfect choice for beginners and professionals alike as it's affordable and convenient. We've got brush sets from:
- Art Studio for mixed media, acrylic, oil and watercolour works
- Artists First Choice for high-quality natural and taklon brushes with a variety of bristles
- Eraldo brush sets including long handle acrylic brushes, round and natural hair brushes for watercolour
- Holcroft sets including 3-4 inch long handle filbert brushes for large works and assortment sets for detailing, blending and getting into corners with ease
Natural Or Synthetic Bristles?
A paint brush uses either synthetic or natural fibers:
- Natural - Made from animal hair, typically sable, hog or goat. Great for use with oil-based paints.
- Synthetic - Made from nylon or polyester. Used with both water-based paints and oil-based paints
Caring And Storing Your Paint Brushes
You'll need to take proper care of your brushes to maintain their quality and ensure they remain usable for years to come. Consider:
- Washing each paint brush immediately after use
- Thoroughly cleaning the base of the bristles to remove paint
- Never leaving brushes upside down in water
- Storing paint brushes vertical in a container with bristles facing upward or lying flat on a surface
Accessories You May Need
We stock a wide range of art accessories to go along with your paint brushes, including:
- Palette knives and sculpting tools
- Acrylics, oils, watercolours, gouache
Frequently Asked Questions About Paint Brushes
What Are The Best Paint Brushes?
We've got the best paint brushes by leading brands who understand what it takes to create a stunning piece of art. Our quality brushes are:
- Synthetic and natural
- Suitable for acrylic, oil and watercolour
- Perfect for filling, blending, smoothing and detailing
- Easy to use and clean
Which Paint Brushes Are Used For What?
The world of paint brushes can be complex and confusing for beginners. The most common types include:
- Round Brush - for sketching, outlining, filling and details
- Flat Brush - for wide strokes and large spaces
- Filbert Brush - for blending and soft edges
- Fan Brush - for smoothing and feathering
- Angular Flat - for curved strokes
- Pointed Round Brush - for fine details
- Bright Brush - for bold, broad strokes
How Do I Choose A Paint Brush?
Consider your artwork and ask:
- What surface are you painting on?
- Are you using acrylic, oils or watercolour?
- Natural or synthetic fibres?
- Will you need a wide brush or narrow brush for small works?
- Which bristle shape is best? Try a flat edge brush for large works and angled for details
Which Paint Brushes To Buy For Beginners?
A paint brush set is a great place to start for beginners. Our Art Studio brush sets are made from high-quality taklon bristles and include all the essentials:
- Fan Brush
- Round Brush - small to large
- Bright Brush - small to large